Tuesday, September 13, 2011

SURPRISE!!!

Yesterday, I got to do the coolest thing I think I've ever done!  Let me start at the beginning.  In July, my grandma was diagnosed with multiple myloma, a form of bone cancer.  Over the last few months she has endured surgery to put a rod in her leg to support her femur bone, intense rehab, learning to walk again, moving in with my parents, a round of radiation, and will be starting kemo therapy in the near future.  She has been a champ through all of it and is in great spirits.  Needless to say, when you live a thousand miles away it is gut wrenching to not be there to spend time with your grandma or be there to help out your family.  So, a few weeks ago I booked my flight and started planning my trip to Ohio, never telling my mom or my grandma that I was coming.  My dad, brothers and sister in law all knew, I mean someone had to pick me up from the airport and take me home.  So yesterday morning, September 12, 2011, my grandma's 90th birthday, at 6:30 a.m. I boarded the plane and landed in Ohio at 10:30 a.m., my brother picked me up from the airport and we headed to my parents house.  The drive seemed to take forever because I was so excited to pull of my surprise.  My brother parks in front of our house and I step out and walk up to the front door.  My mom sees me through the door and starts crying and saying you came, you came.  There was not a dry eye in the house, that is for sure.  It was AWESOME!!!!! So, I spent the day cheering and making my grandma laugh through her physical therapy.  Like telling her she does look a day over 75 and telling her if she keeps working on those leg kicks, she will be ready to join the Rockettes by Christmas, she just laughs at me, and probably thinks I'm a nut, but I believe laughter is the best medicine.  Then my mom, grandma and I spent the afternoon just sitting outside on the back porch catching up, then I helped my dad finish putting up the fence in the backyard, and then the entire family met up and went out for dinner and ice cream to celebrate the birthday girls big day!!  It was so amazing to share this once in a lifetime experience with my grandma, I mean 90, that is incredible and I feel so lucky and blessed that I got to spend it with her!!

  Grandma and Mom...SURPRISE!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment